On the morning of Tuesday 11 September 2001, Chase Welles, Chief Engineer Tim Ivory, Tomas Cavallaro, Andrew Furber and Huntley Gill met spontaneously at John J. Harvey and took her south from Pier 63 Maritime to offer help at the World Trade Center.

We joined a long list of tugs and ferries evacuating a trapped crowd from the sea wall near the Battery, taking some 150 people north to Pier 40.  To view a list of the vessels participating in the 9/11 Manhattan Boat Lift CLICK HERE

911 Tug Passengers

En route, the Fire Department radioed a request that we drop our passengers as quickly as possible and tie up adjacent to the site to provide pumping capacity since water mains in lower Manhattan were crushed and hydrants were not working.

9 11 JJH at SeawallFDNY designated Harvey Marine Company Two and assigned an officer. We joined FDNY boats Fire Fighter and McKean on the sea-wall to provide the only water available at the site.

Joined on Wednesday by Pilot Bob Lenney (FDNY ret) and Assistant Engineer Jessica DuLong, who provided welcome relief (and remained on board without it themselves), Harvey worked non-stop at the site until lFriday night when hydrants had been restored and she was at last sent home.

Countless friends and supporters made Harvey their base for volunteering in the emergency, working on shore on clean-up, rescue work and organization.

Andrew Furber worked as a welder through the Tuesday night cutting people and remains out of emergency vehicles, and later cutting steel that had been WTC 2.

Jean Preece and John Doswell wielded fire hose most of the day Wednesday to provide the only area at the site which was not covered by 2 inches of a horrible, ubiquitous choking dust; this area then became the main supply center for the emergency.

Darren Vigilant provided regular ferry service to and from Pier 63 Maritime in his go-fast boat; John Krevey provided food, beverages and regular, unstinting support.

Captain Pamela Hepburn organized the deck and set up the lines (secured to trees for lack of cleats) with quick-release toggles. (Both John and Pamela's families were homeless as their apartments are adjacent to the site.)

Many others, too numerous to name, pitched in without hesitation.

Remarkably, John J. Harvey turned seventy weeks after the attack.  Supporters of John J. Harvey should be proud that this great old lady was saved to work for our City in crisis.