John J. Harvey
Fireboat John J. Harvey, launched in 1931, served the City of New York and New York Harbor until she retired in 1994. She was a historic first; the first fireboat powered by internal combustion engines, the first that could pump and maneuver simultaneously, and was the largest, fastest fire fighting machine of her time, capable of pumping 18,000 gallons per minute.
Saved from the scrap yard by a dedicated group of volunteers she is now moored at Pier 66 Maritime, at 26th St. and the Hudson River alongside the Frying Pan restaurant and the lightship Frying Pan. The fireboat now serves as an operational museum and education center, offering free public trips to New Yorkers and visitors.
On September 11 2001, John J. Harvey was recalled to service by the FDNY and reactivated as Marine Company 2. Alongside the FDNY fireboats Fire Fighter and John D. McKean she pumped water for 80 hours until water mains in lower Manhattan were restored to service. Harvey's action that week was the subject of countless news articles and a 2002 Maira Kalman book.
John J. Harvey was built in 1931 and named for FDNY pilot John J. Harvey who was killed aboard fireboat Thomas Willett while fighting a fire aboard the North German Lloyd Line's SS Muenchen. Harvey assisted during such notable fires as the Cunard Line pier fire in 1932, the burning of Normandie in 1942, and the ammunition ship El Estero during World War II. She served the FDNY until her retirement in 1994.